Dublin, 23rd June 2015 – The Assignment: The Irish League of Credit Unions Foundation (ILCU Foundation) is seeking to recruit Irish credit union volunteers to provide support and mentoring to the credit union movement in The Gambia by participating in a two week visit in early 2016.
What is the Gambia Coaching Programme?
The Gambian Coaching Programme is designed to provide on-site support to Gambian credit unions through the provision of demand-driven technical support. The technical support will be provided by volunteer coaches sourced from volunteers, board members and staff of credit unions in Ireland.
When does the Gambia Coaching Programme take place?
The field visit to The Gambia will take place in January/February 2016, with pre-departure training and a briefing in the ILCU Foundation office in Dublin in late 2015.
What’s the benefit of getting involved?
Learning. Adventure. Personal satisfaction. Motivation.
Previous coaches report that the coaching programme is an adventure that affords them the opportunity to learn about African culture, as well as understanding the skills needed to develop credit unions and communities in Africa. Many come home with ideas they would like to apply to their work in Ireland. Previous coaches have reported personal satisfaction and renewed motivation in imparting skills and training to other credit unions. They enjoyed supporting other credit unions in facing their challenges.
What commitment is required from successful applicants?
The coaches will be required to carry out a two week field visit to The Gambia in January/February 2016 in accordance with an agreed terms of reference. There will also be a requirement to attend pre-departure training in Dublin, prepare training materials in advance of the visit and attend debrief meetings in The Gambia and Dublin. The coaches will work in teams of two for the duration of field visit. Week 1 of the visit will involve a regional thematic training workshop designed to address the priority needs of the Gambian credit unions. Week 2 will involve visits to two targeted credit unions, with each coaching team spending two days in each credit union.
The successful candidate’s credit union will be requested to contribute €2,000 towards the cost of the mission.
What support will be provided to the coaches?
ILCUF, in partnership with the Gambian apex body NACCUG, will:
- Book flights, accommodation travel insurance
- Organise logistics in The Gambia including in-country transportation and venues for regional trainings
- Support the coaches in planning the regional training workshops and the individual credit union visits
- Arrange pre-trip briefings in Ireland, including cultural training
- Provide a staff member to accompany the coaches to The Gambia
- Liaise with the Gambian credit union movement.
What qualifications are necessary to apply?
The selected coaches will be well rounded and experienced credit union generalists, with an ability to offer advice and assistance on all aspects of primary credit union management. Topics to be covered will be driven by the needs of the Gambian credit unions and may include governance, risk management, internal controls/monitoring, financial management and human resource development. Candidates should be flexible, able to think on their feet and have a broad range of experience to draw on.
- Background in credit union management – ideally credit union Manager/Administrator
- At least 7 years credit union experience
- Willing to travel to remote areas of The Gambia and stay in basic accommodation
- Good physical health
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Willing to share their experiences upon return to Ireland
Desirable but not essential:
- An interest in international development
- Previous experience travelling to a developing country
- Volunteering experience
How do I apply?
* The closing date for applications is Thursday 23 July 2015*
When will I know if my application has been successful?
The Foundation will review every application and select short-listed candidates for interviews. All interviewees will receive notification of acceptance/non acceptance by September 2015.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *